Sunday, July 28, 2013

Spiritual Sunday- James 1:2-3

Once Upon a Time...

     Some kids in my youth group went on a trip this summer and came back with tons of cool stories, new friends, and a plan to dive deeper into a book of the Bible. The book most of them picked was James and I decided that, even though I can't go, I'll do it, too! :) So I'm going to focus on a couple of verses at a time and go as "in depth" as my teenage brain can manage. I'll offer MY interpretation of it and what it means to me and things like that. Please note that because I am not a Bible scholar or anything of the sort my interpretations will not be as good and are "amateur" thoughts. This is my Bible study shared for you! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James 1:2-3
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." (NIV)

  • God tests those He loves (see the story of Job for an example!). If your faith withstands the trials put before you, you will learn to persevere in the long run! Look at trials with joy and face them knowing the God of the universe is on YOUR side and has a plan for everything- Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (NIV).
  • God has a purpose for our trials. Like Joseph, God will use us in a way He sees fit. What we plan or want isn't necessarily the path God wants us to take!! He has a plan!! Just trust Him to use your trials for His glory!
  • "Run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up" (Part of Hebrews 12:1- God's Word Translation). If God says trials develop perseverance, we must be ready to run despite the obstacles! Hurdles will pop up during our race, but we must keep going- they build perseverance!!!!


And They All Lived Happily Ever After...

No comments:

Post a Comment